Deep magenta ruby red
Crystal white inside my head
Mix them up and upside down
Keep them separate lest they drown
Circles squares rectangles too
Cut them clean and mold them true
Pop them in your mouth and see
Why these custards help you free
Yourself from daily life
Pick up fly away from strife
Sweeter still your insides’ll be
Make these custards, be happy.
- Beet Filling
- 1 pound beets (steamed & peeled)
- 1 cup coconut milk (solid part from a chilled can)
- 1 tb grassfed butter (P), ghee (AIP re-intro) or optional for V/AIP
- 2 tb (or 2 lemons worth of ) lemon zest
- 1 tb lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsps ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp nutmeg (non-AIP) or mace (AIP option) (cardamom (non-AIP) could be interesting too)
- ¾ tsp sea salt
- 1 tb grassfed gelatin (sub agar agar for V)
- honey/maple syrup or vanilla extract to taste (all optional)
- Coconut Pudding/Haupia
- 1 can coconut milk
- 4 tb tapioca flour or arrowroot starch
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tb coconut sugar (optional, I like haupia more savory)
- 1 tb grassfed gelatin (sub agar agar for vegan)
- If your beets aren’t already pre-steamed, steam/boil them until tender.
- Blend cooked beets with other ingredients in order listed til very smooth (I used a stick blender), and season to taste.
- Pour into bottom half of molds and refrigerate.
- When beet layer has solidified, make coconut layer.
- Combine all of the ingredients for the haupia in a saucepan (can also bloom the gelatin in the coconut milk for a couple minutes). Heat up over low heat until everything has melted together/is well-incorporated. Let cool slightly and pour over beet layer in molds.
- Refrigerate for a couple hours or until everything has solidified.
This post has been shared on Phoenix Helix’s Paleo-AIP Roundtable.