Summer by the seashore
Wandering lost and finding four
Children playing on the beach
Squirrels roaming out of reach
Seagulls zipping through the skies
Deer leaping over sties
Fish jumping in the sea
Fires burning merrily
Sand castles dripping free
Frisbee, football, baseball tees
Fireworks and moonlit leas
Lobsters, clams and fried fishies
Bacon, sausage, shortcakes please
Topped with fresh ripe strawberries.
- 1 c cassava flour
- 1 c tigernut flour
- 1 tsp grassfed gelatin (omit or sub agar agar for V)
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 6 tb cold leaf lard (or coconut oil for V)
- 2 tb honey (use maple syrup or coconut sugar for V) (optional, depending on sweetness preference)
- 1 - 1.25 c coconut milk or water
- 1 tsp vanilla (optional)
- 1 tb apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 tb coconut sugar (optional)
- 4-5 tb water (helps strawberries macerate and create a sauce)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ⅛ tsp of sea salt
- 2 chilled cans of full-fat coconut milk for whipped cream
- 1 tb honey (maple syrup for V)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Clean & slice strawberries, sprinkle with coconut sugar, salt, lemon juice, and cinnamon, add water and mix gently. Leave to macerate in the fridge while you make the shortcakes.
- Mix dry ingredients for the shortcake (first 5 ingredients), then add cold lard/fat in chunks and honey. Cut in lard with a pastry cutter until mixture reaches a dry crumble consistency.
- Add coconut milk and ACV. Mix well (mixture will be wetter than standard biscuit/shortcake mix, you should be able to thwock (technical term) it onto parchment-lined baking tray).
- Spoon out six shortcakes (try not to flatten them, it's better if they're high in the middle).
- Bake at 450 for 12 minutes, then turn down to 350 and bake for 6-8 more minutes - shortcakes should be brown on the outside and not squishy when you touch them in the middle.
- Take the solid part of your coconut milk and whip it with a mixer, adding sweetener once you have solid peaks.
- Cut shortcakes, spoon strawberries onto the bottom layer, spoon whipped cream over them, then put on the top shortcake and repeat.
- Eat and enjoy one of my favorite treats of all time.